Friday, March 30, 2018

Thankfulness = Happiness


I had the privilege of baptizing my five year old son recently. Holding him with pride, I could not help but rejoice at the gift God had bestowed in my arms. Seeing Trajan. Hearing Trajan. Holding Trajan. I was just so thankful. My son makes me happy. Not all the time, but most.

The feeling inside reminded me about a devotion I read on Thanksgiving. 

It is not Happy People who are thankful.

It is THANKFUL people who are HAPPY. 

There have been many times I have pondered happiness. There have been many times I have said, "If only I had what he had. If only I had made that decision. If only I had a couple things differently. If only I had that one big break, I'd be happier." I think when we are yearning for happiness, we continue to look for that missing we internally think is the missing link in our quest for happiness.  

Many theologians I've read write, "We are not called to be happy, we called to have joy. Happiness is fleeting and conditional, joy is eternal." To be honest, hearing these statements sometimes makes me feel like being happy is a bad thing. 

I had a friend once tell me that Jesus wasn't happy, he was a man of sorrows. Honestly, judging by some of the medieval paintings of him; it doesn't seem like he smiled much. Yet is happiness really a bad thing? Honestly, there is something I find attractive with happiness. It's something I desire. I'm just being real.  

I do think that joy and happiness are two different feelings, though sometimes they seem to merge together and feel the same. Happiness is typically thought to be transient; while joy is something that should be present no matter what the circumstances. However I must admit though joy is taught to be eternal; there have been many seasons in my life where I have felt the absence of joy.

Yet, there is a common denominator when I feel empty of joy or happiness. I tend to lack thankfulness. I get caught up so much with what I don't have, that I cannot grasp firmly in my heart what I do possess. I honestly believe if I were more thankful in life, I would be happier and more consistently filled with joy.

Despite the medieval paintings, I believe that Jesus was happy and filled with joy. I believe that Jesus smiled and that made a difference on people. Think about it? Have you ever been around people who were miserable? I'm not a psychiatrist, but those types of personalities don't promote personal growth. There is a reason for the phrase, "misery likes company." Yes, Jesus knew many sorrows, but he had a heart that was thankful. 
  • He gave thanks for a small portion of food (John 6:11)
  • He was thankful for bread and the wine that symbolized his brutal death (Matthew 26:27,38)
You see, he saw opportunities that would lead many to be discouraged and see them as opportunities to see God work in the miraculous. He rejoiced at the big picture and was not held captive by his bleak present circumstances.

Jesus was happy because he was truly thankful.

Here is my prayer.

"Lord, help me to be thankful for what I have, even if it is less than others. Help me to see my present bleak situations as an opportunity to see you do amazing things and get the glory. Help me to be thankful for the things I take for granted, my life. Thank you for this playground called earth. Thank you for my health, my mind, and the opportunity to live out another day.

Help me to be more thankful so that I can be happier in my spirit and a better witness for all that you have given me."

I hope your days are filled with thanksgiving.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment