Thursday, June 4, 2015

Bruce Jenner - A Christian Response

I have done a lot of thinking about the transformation from Bruce to Caitlyn Jenner. I don't understand Jenner's struggle emotionally, but apparently something was not right in the inside. As a result I am not here to throw stones or pretend I am his therapist, instead I would rather have compassion and seek to understand. Jenner has proclaimed he is happy, I am not here to debate that proclamation, instead I would like to know how. 


As a Christian, I have a problem with the notion that we know more than God when it comes to our gender. I have a problem with the idea that God somehow got the gender thing wrong and mankind must fix it to make it right and recreate and play God. That's my deepest grief. I also have a problem that he would use a media forum like Vanity Fair to announce his new identity. Why make this such a public spectacle? Inside I am angered because this seems like the epitome of arrogance when it comes to God, our ultimate gender designer. I equivocate it to essentially shaking your fist at God. "Look what I've done, I've cheated God." 

As a father, I can't imagine telling my kids that I am going to have a sex change. I can't imagine them referring to me as 'dad' as a woman, or even worse, calling me "mom." That would be the ultimate sign of disrespect to their biological mother, who nurtured them in ways I could not do. 

Yet, the prevailing wisdom of the culture says we have the right to do to our bodies what we essentially want, even if that means reassigning gender. I have heard many argue that Jenner is not hurting anyone, but somehow I wonder if that is really true, especially from a family context. I'd like to hear Jenner's take. His families take behind closed doors. 

I actually like Jenner, maybe it's because of Olympic history, maybe it's because there is more of a likability compared to other transgendered I have encountered. I honestly looked forward to his interview because I wanted to hear from him what was going on inside. Is Jenner really a hero as some would claim or is he someone who is confused and seeking to find self-worth outside of God? Like everyone, I have my own opinion, yet I wanted to hear him speak to better understand. 

In the end, I can't really understand it, I feel sadness for him, I feel irritation, I feel anger. However, I still have to learn how to see a person like Jenner as Jesus would. Man or woman, Jenner is made in the image of God. Man or woman, Jenner deserves respect as a person, not public scorn because he has a soul.

We live in a broken world and we must remember that Jesus died for one. The most important thing for Jenner is not for Christians to cast out judgment and assault him with Bible verses, the most important is for him to truly know that Jesus loves him with a love that is beyond our human capabilities. Transformation happens when another person realizes that God sincerely loves them for who they are, despite one's gender, struggles, sins, insecurities, pride, etc. As Christians, we are called to a ministry of reconciliation that was modeled by Jesus when he died for us despite our transgressions. 

Jesus calls us to a higher standard, to love that which is unpleasant, uncomfortable, and unfamiliar. He calls us to love our enemies and pray for those that persecute us. Love, not in the sense that we accept, affirm, and embrace what they have done, but rather as a person who needs prayer, compassion and someone who listens to understand. Yes many times that can be hard, but that is part of the process of learning to love well. We must remember that if we do not love those who are unlovely or people we despise, according to Jesus we are no different than the "wicked" because even in their sins, they have the ability to love others just like them. Ultimately, we are just simply called to a higher standard.





No comments:

Post a Comment